Friday, June 25, 2010

Reading List: Salsa, Soul, and Spirit

All our lives, we keep developing--we strengthen our systems if we include study in our business groups as well.

And so I read Salsa, Soul, and Spirit: Leadership for a Multicultural Age


Basic premise: How could our culture of leadership be strengthened by understanding and including perspectives from other traditions?

Author: Juana Bordas - http://www.mestizaleadership.com/books/juana-bordas.php

The book is very accessible with lots of story sharing and led me to some new understandings, not only of Latino, African American, and Native American leadership structures, but of the normative culture's structures. It turns out that some of the things that challenge me in our established UU paradigms are just things that I had never encountered in my Catholic, working class, ginormous family background. Huh.

Of course, as all these books do, this one gives me ideas for more books to read. I definitely need to read some history of the US from non-White perspectives. And probably I need to read a few of the "classic" leadership books so I can have a better understanding of what these rules of the mainstream culture ARE...

No comments:

Post a Comment